Next up on my Free Motion Machine Sketching DVD blog tour are Beth & Kristin from Sew Mama Sew! It should be no surprise to people who read my blog for awhile that I really enjoy thinking about construction when sewing; whether it’s figuring out how to get the right kind of pockets in a bag, covering the zipper on my pillows in a pretty way, or building houses out of peltex and fabric, I really like figuring out how to make those details work with fabric and thread. The blog of Sew Mama Sew is chock full of great tutorials on how to do sew all sorts of things! Beth and Kristen do an incredible job of soliciting incredibly useful tips and tutorials from talented sewists all over the internet.
- Need to buy a new sewing machine? They have a great guide that walks you through all the steps to deciding what kind of sewing machine you need. And then they had folks submit reviews of their particular machines, so there’s now a huge master list of sewing machine meme’s right here.
- Want to sew softies or stuffed animals? Look at all this help!
- All zipped up over zipper? Help is on the way!
- Want to slipcover a chair? A three part series starts here.
- How about sewing with your kids? These should be a big help.
- Take a look at all these helpful tutorials!
I’ve writted several beginning dyeing tutorials for them, those are here. I so wish that Sew Mama Sew (and the internet as we know it today) had been around 20 years ago. I’ve spent a lot of time figuring things out the hard way, and so many articles they have answer the questions I spent hours tearing my hair out about over the years. No matter, it’s here now!
When I asked Kristin and Beth what flower they thought would be fun to Free Motion Machine Sketch, their quick answer was “Queen Anne’s Lace”! Oooooh, good choice!!!
I immediately wanted to use a light color, slightly variegated thread against dark blue. Queen Anne’s Lace is dense, so I had to decide how to eliminate some of the floral parts but still keep the feeling of the flower…I think I didn’t do too bad a job!
For a chance to win this free motion machine sketched Queen Anne’s Lace, and a copy of my new DVD, head on over to Sew Mama Sew to enter! And don’t forget the rest of the stops on the tour!
Free Motion Machine Sketching Blog Tour
- Wednesday, 3/12 – Vicki Welsh of Field Trips in Fiber – Entries end 3/24
- Friday, 3/14 – Diane Doran of Ooh! Pretty Colors – Entries end 3/26
- Monday, 3/17 – Victoria Gertenbach of The Silly BooDilly – Entries end 3/24
- Wednesday, 3/19 – Susan Brubaker Knapp of Blue Moon River – Entries end 3/26
- Friday, 3/21 – Beth & Kristen of Sew Mama Sew
- Monday 3/24 – Melody Johnson of Fibermania
- Wednesday, 3/26 – Me!