Today, Vicki Welsh is hosting day 7 of my 12 day blog tour on her blog “Field Trips in Fiber“! (woot! that means I’m halfway done!) Vicki is the most industrious fabric dyer, quilter and blogger I know! Seriously, she gets so much done. I started following Vicki years ago, when she was posting lots of color palettes based on photographs, (this is where I got the idea to use color palettes with my scarves).
She was also doing lots of experiments mixing 2 different pure dyes at a time. This was all leading up to her retiring from her day job so she could start a fabric dyeing business (she sells her fabric from her site as well as her etsy shop).
She is a real pro at making traditional quilt patterns with her hand dyed fabrics, it gives them such a modern twist:
And she often combines her hand dyes with commercial fabrics:
(I love this pattern – if you do too, she’s written a tutorial on how to make it). Here’s a fun quilt she made with another of her graduated hand dyed fabrics:
This year she has also been following through on a weekly journal quilt, trying out all sorts of cool techniques, I love the colors in this leaf:
But wait, there’s more, she also makes these incredible beaded Christmas ornaments:
She amazes me with her energy, and her never ending quest to make, make, make! She and I are very similar in so many ways, the most obvious one is that we both approach fabric dyeing from a very scientific point of view. I wish we lived closer, it would be so fun to hang out and dye together!
OK, now head on over to Vicki’s blog to enter the giveaway!
And as reminder, here’s the rest of the tour:
- Friday, 11/11 – Victoria Gertenbach of The Silly BooDilly
- Monday, 11/14 – Susan Brubaker Knapp of Blue Moon River
- Wednesday, 11/16 – Kathy Mack of Pink Chalk Studio
- Friday, 11/18 – Melody Johnson of Fibermania
- Monday, 11/21 – Amy Ellis of Amy’s Creative Side
- Wednesday, 11/23 – Diane Doran of Ooh! Pretty Colors
- Friday, 11/25 – Vicki Welsh of Field Trips in Fiber
- Monday, 11/28 – Brenda Gael Smith of Serendipity and the Art of the Quilt
- Wednesday, 11/30 – Amy Webb of Amy Lou Who Sews
- Friday, 12/2 – Robin Ferrier of Simply Robin
- Tuesday, 12/6 – Natalia Bonner of Piece N Quilt
- Thursday, 12/8 – Beth and the gang from Sew Mama Sew